Position: DIRECTOR OF TOURISM
Reports to: Chamber President/CEO
Reports to incumbent: Marketing Director, Sales Manager, Visitor Services Manager
Responsible for executing the strategic management of the Visitors Bureau Division, the designated destination marketing organization for Cookeville-Putnam County. The incumbent directs overall visitor development programming including strategic and budgetary planning, staff management, stakeholder relations, hospitality partner relations, and public relations.
Examples of Work Performed:
1. Manage overall budget and staff planning for Visitors Bureau program of work.
2. Responsible for staff management in executing overall marketing, sales and public relations functions.
3. Work closely with local hospitality industry partners (hotels, attractions, restaurants, retailers, etc.) to support their activities as well as remain current with trends, problems, opportunities and events.
4. Representation of the Visitors Bureau for stakeholder and legislative relationship management.
5. Planning and management of media relations to include creation and strategic distribution of press releases; relationship building with targeted publications, travel writers, freelance journalists and social influencers; media query response; pitching to targeted outlets; press tour coordination; industry and local stakeholder communications.
6. Other duties as assigned by the President/CEO.
1. Degree from a 4-year college or university in a related field.
2. Previous experience in tourism/hospitality, marketing, event management, sales/event recruitment, etc.
3. Knowledge of travel industry trends, local tourism assets/attractions.
4. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (both written and oral).
5. Excellent project and team management skills.
6. Ability to manage multiple projects and objectives simultaneously.
7. Successful leadership, motivational, and supervisory skills.
8. Strong presentation, sales, and marketing skills.
9. Strong organizational/detail skills.
10. Technology skills including in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Please send resume and cover letter to Lynne Matthews at LMatthews@cookevillechamber.com